Weirdo!

This week I picked up some dress shirts from the dry cleaners and was reminded why I go so infrequently even though I wear them every single day to work. Picking them up leads to my absolute least favorite chore I ever do: preparing the shirts to be hung back up in my closet. I have to remove the tags from each shirt. Then I have to button the cuff and placket (yes, I had to google this word) on each sleeve, then button all the front buttons and replace the stupid wire hanger with a real hanger. This is not really that big of a deal, but for some reason I HATE DOING IT! This is the reason why I wear my shirts twenty times before I take them to the dry cleaners (unless they get visibly dirty).


This chore also prompted my idea for this blog.


It doesn't take much reflection to realize that we are all a little weird. We have odd habits, mannerisms, and dispositions at times. I am no exception. In fact I am an exemplar of weirdness. So, I want to take a few minutes to itemize some of my idiosyncrasies and odd behaviors. I would also like to encourage any reader to do the same!


So, here we go. Another of my top fives.


1. I don't unbutton all the front buttons on my dress shirts when I take them off or put them on. I just unbutton the top two and then slip the shirt over my head like a t-shirt. The dry cleaning process has created this strong of a disdain for using the buttons on my dress shirts!


2. I often stand up instead of sit down when watching TV. This drives my wife crazy, but sometimes I just like to stand up! I sit at work all day. So, if you happen to look through our living room window some night and see her sitting on the couch and me standing up as we watch TV, don't be alarmed by my weird behavior.


3. I always organize the bills in my wallet. I put them all right-side-up and in descending order from front to back. I hate when they are out of order or are facing different directions. This is one of the biggest ways that I exhibit signs of OCD.

4. I drive with my seat moved up pretty far in my car. I don't hug the steering like an old lady. I don't quite touch the underside of the steering panel with my knees, but I like them to be close. Whenever anyone else drives my car, like my wife or Danny DeVito, they move the seat back.

5. This one should not be weird because it simply makes more sense than the alternative. When I make a PB&J, I put the jelly on the first. Apparently no one else does. But, it's so much easier. After I spread the jelly, I can wipe off what excess remains on either piece of bread. Then I can use the peanut butter with a clean knife. You can't do that the other way around; the peanut butter is too sticky. If you spread the peanut butter first, you have to use a different knife for the jelly or clean the knife first. Otherwise, you'll contaminate the jelly. Some people spread the peanut butter first, then spread the jelly on top of it, but that's just dumb. Put jelly on one slice, wipe the knife on the bread, then put peanut butter on the other.

Honorable mention: When I'm in my car alone, I pick my nose. Don't judge.

Those are some of my weird habits. I know you have them. If you don't think you do, ask your family or friends. Let's all embrace how odd each of us are sometimes!

Share some of your own!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bible and Me in 2020

This post IS about me

Clarification