White Privilege




This post does not represent policy endorsement or advocacy.


This is a just reflection and apology that I feel compelled to express.


Out of pride-or fear that it detracts from my accomplishments and abilities-I have silently denied the reality of White privilege. I have worked very hard my entire life and have had less favorable living conditions than most of my White peers. Despite this, I feel that I have been relatively successful in most things that I have done. This has made me want to deny White privilege. It threatens my ego because it suggests that I do have advantages that others don't, and I want to believe that my work ethic and determination alone-not any unmerited advantage-have gotten me to where I am.

Maybe I'm speaking before thinking here, but I'm learning to look at White privilege in America differently than I'm instinctively disposed to thinking about it. Could it be that White privilege is less about White people, and more about non-Whites? Thinking about its effects on people of color rather than on Whites seems to be helpful to me. I've never felt unsafe or unprotected by law enforcement. I've never felt like my teachers or educational leaders have lacked faith in me. I've never felt eye-balled differently or assumed threatening based on how I look. I feel as though I generally get the benefit of the doubt from others. I've always somehow had proximity or access to families that are more educated and affluent than my own family to guide me. Even though I grew up in a broken and relatively poor family, I've never felt trapped or limited. I've always felt like, not only do I have a way out, but that others are eager and willing to help. I think that none of this is the case for not all, but many people of color. Is this how I should understand white privilege? If so, I shouldn't feel threatened or offended by it; I should be willing to stop denying it. It's about others much more than it's about me. Maybe it's time I learn to take my eyes of myself in these discussions. I challenge my White brothers and sisters to do the same.


On a related note, I feel very compelled to offer an apology. I am ashamed at much of the response that I see from my fellow Whites inside the church. I do not endorse the violence and vandalism that has been associated with much of the BLM movement recently. Although I don't support the tearing down of public monuments, I completely understand the motivation. Confederate monuments are reminders of a shameful time in our nation's history. When I see people-particularly in the church-get offended by others’ offense at the glorification of this era, I am at a loss. This era was defined by racial superiority, horrific dehumanization, and indefensible abuse and contempt.


The secession of the southern states from the United States was not driven by a vague notion of states' rights; it was a very specific right: the right to protect and perpetuate the institution of race-based chattel enslavement of African Americans. Essentially, every secession document speaks of this, and even goes so far as to distinguish the Confederacy from the United States by describing the former as slaveholding and the latter as anti-slavery. There is no question what the Confederacy was established on. Racial dehumanization and enslavement were the distinguishing characteristics and heritage of the Confederate State of America. Every public monument that honors a Confederate figure is a reminder of this. Unlike the slave-holding Founders, I'm not aware of what Confederate figures should be remembered for apart from their roles in attempting to separate from the United States to preserve slavery. It does not appear that, at least on a large scale, that these monuments will be removed any time soon by legal means. So, while I don't support vandalism, I whole-heartedly understand the drive to tear them down. However, I am not glued to this position. Maybe history will show this was a good way to move forward into a new era where power, protection, and equality are truly shared by all races in America.


So many of the responses I see from many White people in the church are revolting to me. I've seen responses affirming the heritage of the Confederacy and taking offense at a perceived attempt to 'erase' history. I've seen responses that show that White people are also sometimes mistreated by cops. I hear ‘all lives matter,’ or similar platitudes. I could go on and on. But what I simply want to point out is this: in the church today, there are no Confederate citizens. But there are African Americans. There is no need to affirm anything about the short-lived Confederacy or the flag that later came to represent it. There is no need to heartlessly reject the pain and fear of others. The lack of awareness, compassion, understanding, and empathy baffles me here. Some of us are more concerned about justifying our history and political worldview than we are about loving and seeking reconciliation with people who are made in the image of God and are brothers and sisters in Christ. This is in direct disobedience to the words and spirit of Christ, who explicitly says that we are to be recognized by our love for one another. To belittle or deny the validity of the pain, subjugation, and inequality of African Americans shows a lack of love, compassion, sensitivity to others, and promotion for justice that Christ calls us to. Politics should fall way secondary to this. Our response should not be defensive, but should be from a posture of listening and seeking to understand and help where appropriate. Maybe this defensiveness is a perfect example of White privilege.


To my African American brothers and sisters: I am sorry. Those responses are not indicative of the way that most Whites in the church feel. If my reflections on White privilege are misguided, I welcome correction.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bible and Me in 2020

This post IS about me

Clarification