Clarification

I didn't think this would be necessary to do when I composed my most recent blog, but I now feel strongly compelled to offer a few points of clarification regarding that post. The intention of that post was not to cast judgment or blame on anyone, to insult anyone, or to evoke pity. Unfortunately, not everyone interpreted it that way. I will now provide a quick follow-up in order to address ways that my words or intentions appear to have been misunderstood or misconstrued.


My intention in writing that post was to share a very small bit of my story. I have had it in my mind for a while-primarily for my own private purposes-to write a memoir about my life. By nature, this means that there will be events retold that are happy, sad, traumatic, disappointing, triumphant, and joyful. The good and bad that have happened to me have made me who I am, and thus have their role in my story. This story will be written. The primary battle is going to be whether or not it becomes public.


I do not feel that characterizing my home growing up as poor, broken, or dysfunctional is any way a mischaracterization or is even misleading. This can be shown by indisputable, objective standards. Economically, we were on the bottom rungs; my house had alcoholism, frequent conflict, and lots of people in small spaces; finally, my parents split up when I was twelve. In no way did I state or even imply that we were homeless, hungry, or deprived of any basic necessities. Of course there are billions of people who have experienced poorer and more difficult childhoods than I did. I would never belittle their experiences by denying that or by comparing my lot to theirs. Nonetheless, my story is my story, and the relative poverty I experienced is a big part of the early years of my life. It would be dishonest for me to deny or omit that reality.


My opinion is that it is naive or prejudiced to interpret my use of the adjectives dysfunctional, poor, and broken to mean that I am defining my childhood in its entirety only by these terms.  My childhood was certainly not void of  joy, fun, or happiness. I experienced frequent moments of elation, growth, and familial closeness. This reality will have its role in my story as well. However, I know that what sets my childhood apart in the most significant ways from that of many of my peers is the brokenness that I experienced, and this is what has prompted me to record my story.


Finally, it was not my intention for anyone to interpret a retelling of three very specific incidents as casting judgment or blame on anyone. I indicted no one in these brief anecdotes. However, writing is always open to interpretation, and I can't control responses to anything that I say or write. I attempted to tell them in an objective and morally neutral way. If they are interpreted in another way, there is nothing I can do about that. My aim is neither to insult, denigrate, nor belittle anyone. I was actually mindful of this consideration as I wrote the blog. If I have mischaracterized, slandered anyone, or embellished any details in my account, I am open to respectful discussion about this. I will repent and amend what I've written to address the applicable claims if I have erred in what I've written. However, I must end by reiterating that I do not believe that I have done so but also that I am open to being shown otherwise.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts on guns

This post IS about me

The Bible and Me in 2020