Reflections on Being a Dad

My son just turned two years old, and I have loved being a dad. I can already see his personality, habits, opinions, and idiosyncrasies forming. I can see ways that his mind is learning to work. I love when he asks questions. I love to wrestle with him. I love to take him outside. I love reading and praying with him. It is truly a fun ride.

I am also well aware of the ways in which I've already had moments of failure. I've been way too harsh and/or yelled at him in unwarranted times. I've disrespected my wife (and his mother) in front of him. I've tuned out when I should be paying attention to them. I have failed to let him see me participating in spiritual disciplines consistently.

I know what it is like having a dad around, and I know what it is like not having a dad around. Fatherhood is one of the most neglected commitments in our culture, and I think there is an argument that this reality is one of the biggest causes of familial issues and a growing lack of social health and economic mobility. For men who have families, there is no more important role you will ever have than being a husband and a father. There are few roles in which neglect or a lack of intentionality comes at such a huge price.

With all that being said, I wish to list out a few things that I want to make sure my son hears from me throughout his life. Here is a quickly written top ten:
  • I love you. I want him to hear it and believe it. I want him to know the words and see the actions.
  • I love your mother. He needs to know family is of utmost importance, and that my lifelong commitment and number one is her.
  • I am proud of you. I want him to know when he has done well. Few things will teach him the value of time and effort better than this.
  • I am disappointed in you. When he messes up, he needs to know that he did. He needs to know that it is not OK, but also that there is forgiveness.
  • You can do it. He needs to know that I believe in him even when no one else-including himself-does. I want him to never fear failure.
  • I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. I will never leave him or his mother. He needs to know this.
  • Think about what you're doing. He needs to understand how to use his mind and not be driven by selfish impulses.
  • Don't worry about them. There will always be scoffers and antagonists. Don't let them influence your behavior in a negative way.
  • Look at me. He needs to be able to put down his electronic devices and be with people without thinking about those devices. Real interaction always trumps electronic immersion.
  • Let's go! It's a big world! I want him to experience it. I want him to visit new cultures, appreciate history where it has happened, and enjoy all of creation.
 I'm sure if I took more time I would modify this list.  Although no spiritual components are explicitly stated, all of these are influenced by my understanding of God as Father. I can never stop telling him how important he is, how important effort and character are, how fun life is, or how great God is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts on guns

The Bible and Me in 2020

This post IS about me