Tribute II: Father's Day

It is time to honor another amazing person in my life. With Father's Day coming up, I can think of no better time to do so for this person. I have had a handful of father figures in my life, but one surpasses them all in effect, duration, and significance to me. That man is my wonderful grandfather, JC McLawhorn. This is not intended to insult my own father or anyone else, but to recognize the preeminent male figure in my life.

There is no other man who comes anywhere close to my granddad in terms of duration in my life, lessons taught to me, and love shown to me. He is far from perfect, but still closer to it than any man I know. I am reluctant to use the following phrase because it is used so frequently that it seems trite, but I would absolutely not be who I am today if not for this man being such a huge part of my life.

He has shown me the value of a lifelong commitment to marriage. I have not seen the level of cooperation, mutual care and respect, and genuine love that can only be reached after a lifetime together anywhere else like I've seen with my grandparents. I've watched them cook together, clean together, go to church together, work outside together, travel together, and just love one another through all seasons of life.  It is a beautiful thing. Who knows if I could even be in a committed marriage if not for what I observed in them throughout my life?

My grandparents have done so much for their family. They've provided homes, cars, and innumerable other financial assistance to us. They've fed us. They've taken us on vacations. They were also spiritual heads to me for most of my adolescence. It is very possible that I may not be a Christian today if not for them. They have truly been a Godsend.

There are so many things that I have learned from my granddad, apart from the value of love, commitment, and sacrifice briefly already mentioned. He taught me to use my hands and to have the first instinct to fix things myself instead of getting someone else to. At this point, everyone should know I love lists, so here are a few things (an exhaustive list would be impossible) that I've learned from my granddad:
  • How to mow grass
    • how to try to fix a broken lawn-mower
  • How use a weed eater
  • How to use a chainsaw
  • How to use hand tools
  • How to drive
  • How to tie a tie
  • How to iron
  • How to save money and use it wisely
  • The value of patience
  • The value of generosity 
  • The importance of commitment to a church body
  • How to kill a snake (with a bush axe, of course)
  • How to relax and enjoy the small things in life
  • To never have a sense of entitlement
  • Maybe most importantly: to work hard, never do a half-ass job, and to take pride in everything I do

Additionally, this cannot go without saying: He is the reason I am a Tar Heel. I was not Tar Heel born, but I was Tar Heel bred. I owe that all to this guy.

Happy Father's Day, Granddad! I love you so much, and will be forever grateful for all you've shown and taught me. You have been the biggest source of stability and consistency in my life. So many of my fondest memories are with you. You have been the primary father figure to me and have shaped who I am today more than any other person. Because of you I know how to be a man, a husband, and a father, and I am forever indebted to you for this. That's why I choose to honor you today. You deserve to be recognized on this occasion.

*I can't use a picture of granddad without grandma. They've been together most of their lives, and for as long as he's been there for me she's been right by his (and my) side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bible and Me in 2020

This post IS about me

Some thoughts on guns